Becoming a signatory to the UN Global Compact involves a corporate commitment – from the CEO – to operate responsibly in alignment with the UN Global Compact’s ten universal sustainability principles in the areas of human rights, labour, the environment and anti-corruption, and to take actions that support society (e.g. by supporting the Sustainable Development Goals).
The business will also be required to submit a public report each year on its progress in these areas – a Communication on Progress. This Communication includes practical actions taken and measurement of outcomes in each area. You can build the UN Global Compact’s reporting requirements into existing reports, such as your Annual Report or Sustainability Report.
Become a member of the UN Global Compact and Global Compact Network Australia:
- Review the Application Guidelines for a detailed step-by-step guide to the Business Application process.
- Prepare a Letter of Commitment. All applicants are required to submit a Letter of Commitment addressed to the UN Secretary-General from their highest-level executive (or equivalent), committing to implement the Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact, take action in support of the Sustainable Development Goals and submit an annual Communication on Progress (COP). Templates of the Letter can be found in English and nine other languages here.
- Complete the Online Application Form and upload a digital copy of the Letter of Commitment signed by the highest level executive. The name of the highest level executive who signed the Letter of Commitment must correspond with the entry name in the online registration form.
- Complete the GCNA Membership Application Form and send it to: email@example.com. Please have the following prepared before filling out the form:
- Basic company information
- Primary contact point details
- Highest level executive contact details
- Preferred engagement level
- Financial contact details
- Letter of Commitment (PDF format)
- Proof of company registration
- Number of employees
- Annual sales/revenue in AUD
The UN Global Compact Office undertakes a review of the application which can take 7 to 14 days to complete. The GCNA Board will also review and confirm acceptance.
After the Acceptance
- Log-in to the UN Global Compact dashboard using the relevant username and password. Choose the preferred membership engagement tier – Participant or Signatory. Membership benefits and financial contribution for each membership tier are outlined here.
- The invoice will be generated and sent to the organisation by the GCNA. The company’s biography and logo will likewise be requested for publication on the GCNA’s website.
Companies from any industry or sector are eligible for participation except for those which fall under the following criteria:
- Subject to a UN Sanction
- Listed on the UN Ineligible Vendors List for ethical reasons
- Derive revenue from controversial weapons, namely the production, sale and/or transfer of antipersonnel landmines or cluster bombs, or
- Derive revenue from the production and/or manufacturing of tobacco.