In January 2014, the GCNA launched an Indigenous Engagement Working Group (IEWG) to advance the dialogue around business and Indigenous rights, particularly in light of the importance of Indigenous engagement to Australian businesses.
The overarching objectives of the IEWG are to:
- advance understanding and awareness in the Australian business community of the importance of positive Indigenous engagement from the human rights and inclusive sustainable development perspectives;
- identify best practice of Australian companies;
- identify opportunities for the GCNA to develop practical tools, resources and guidance for Australian companies in relation to business and Indigenous rights / engagement, and contribute to the development of such tools, resources and guidance;
- provide a learning and sharing opportunity for the IEWG’s members;
- provide guidance and advice to the GCNA on Indigenous engagement and suggest potential activities for the GCNA in this area;
- engage with government and other stakeholders in relation to the contribution of business in this space; and
- contribute to the global UN agenda on behalf of Australian business.
GCNA members are welcome to join the IEWG. Current participants include representatives from Allens, the Australian Human Rights Commission, BHP Billiton, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Fortescue Metals Group, GHD, KPMG, Lendlease, PwC Australia, Rio Tinto, Shell, Telstra, The GPT Group, Transurban, Westpac, World Vision Australia and Worley Parsons.
Contact us for more information or to get involved.