The United Nations Global Compact is the world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative, with over 12,000 participating businesses and other organisations. The UN Global Compact works with business to transform our world, aiming to create a sustainable and inclusive global economy that delivers lasting benefits to all people, communities and markets.
Endorsed by chief executives, the UN Global Compact is both a practical framework for action and a platform for demonstrating corporate commitment and leadership.
To join the initiative, an organisation must voluntarily pledge to:
- Operate responsibly, in alignment with the UN Global Compact’s ten universal sustainability principles
- Take actions that support the society around it
- Commit to the effort from the organisation’s highest level, pushing sustainability deep into its DNA
- Report annually on the organisation’s ongoing efforts
- Engage locally where the organisation has a presence
The initiative combines the global reach, convening power and moral authority of the United Nations with the private sector’s solution-finding strengths and the expertise and capacities of a range of stakeholders.